Tech Smackdown #3: Jaedyn Phillips
Hey ya'll, I did Facebook Marketplace as my good website, and Craigslist as my bad. So starting off with Facebook Marketplace, I think this is a really strong example of a well-designed platform. It’s super easy to use, and everything is organized in a way that just makes sense. You can search for items, filter by location, price, or category, and it shows you listings that are actually relevant to you. One of the biggest things I like is that it connects to your Facebook profile, so you can actually see who you’re buying from or selling to. That adds a level of trust that a lot of other platforms don’t have. Messaging is also built right into the app, which makes communication really quick and simple.
Now comparing that to Craigslist, it’s honestly the opposite experience. Craigslist feels really outdated and not user-friendly. The layout is very plain, and it can be confusing to navigate, especially if you’re not used to it. There aren’t many filters, and it can take longer to find what you’re looking for. Another issue is safety. Since profiles aren’t really connected to real identities, it’s harder to trust who you’re interacting with. That can make people hesitant to use it, especially for buying or selling expensive items.
In terms of how I could use these in my college coursework, I think both platforms are actually helpful but in different ways. Facebook Marketplace is a great example of how a successful digital tool should be designed. It shows how important user experience, organization, and trust are when building a platform. On the other hand, Craigslist can be used as an example of what not to do, especially when it comes to keeping a website modern and easy to use. Comparing the two helps me understand what makes a platform effective.
For my future career as an entrepreneur, this comparison is really important. If I start my own business, I would want to create something that’s easy to use and builds trust with customers, just like Facebook Marketplace. At the same time, I would want to avoid the mistakes that Craigslist makes, like having a confusing layout or not focusing enough on user safety. Overall, these tools show how much design and user experience can impact whether a platform succeeds or not.
Comments
Post a Comment